- Article by Elisa Scarton
Looking to make your next career move? Work with us at Australian Design Review. We have an exciting new role for a journalist at our Melbourne office!
This is an exciting new role that provides an excellent opportunity for an ambitious journalist to join our Melbourne office on a Six Month Fixed Term Part Time Role.
Collaborating with our editor, you will be responsible for producing stories for both Australian Design Review and its print publication, inside magazine. You’ll ideate, research and write engaging stories that cover Australian architecture and interior design, and feature the people, places and spaces that are making waves and setting trends within the industry.
You’ll have a passion for all things architecture and interiors and an ability to describe a space or profile a studio in a way that resonates with our design-savvy and industry-immersed readers. When you’re not interviewing or writing, you’re scrolling the web for new projects or up-and-coming practices or taking the lead sharing our stories on our social media platforms.
Reporting to the editor, the role will include:
- Researching, interviewing and writing short and long-form features, profiles and news articles for digital and print publication
- Uploading, publishing and editing copy, links, photos and captioning on Australian Design Review
- Ideating and developing content that will resonate with the audience
- Working with sponsors and internal and external stakeholders to develop paid advertorial content
- Managing the social media calendar and producing content on all platforms daily
- Assisting with the planning and realisation of the Interior Design Excellence Awards program and its annual gala evening
- General support to the editor as required, which may include managing daily editorial schedule, liaising with third parties, attending meetings and other tasks
Required skills and experience:
- A tertiary qualification in media, communications or journalism is preferred, but not obligatory
- A minimum of two years experience in journalism, with a focus on digital
- Experience researching, pitching, interviewing talent, writing and editing for digital audiences
- Good editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Strong understanding of online publishing tools and social media
- Highly organised (prioritising, time management, multi-tasking)
- Available to attend industry events outside of standard working hours
- Passion for all things design
We are a passionate team and looking for that one individual who can add value and be part of this team. You will report directly to the editor and work closely with other key stakeholders in the business.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter as well as a portfolio with examples of your published work to email@example.com. Your cover letter should outline your experience and reasons you’d be a good fit for the role.