- Article by Stefanie Markidis
From multi-storey ultra modern homes to Australia’s first purpose-built LGBTIQ+ hub, the impressive shortlist for the ArchiTeam Awards 2021 has been released!
Now in its 14th year, the awards program open exclusively to ArchiTeam members is an opportunity for practices to showcase their designs to the industry and the curious general public.
Of this year’s 115 entries, 29 projects were selected as finalists for eight categories, which include the new $500k, between $500k – $1m and over $1m subcategories introduced into the Residential Alterations and Additions award.
As COVID-19 restrictions ease across the country, ArchiTeam plans to have a face-to-face two-week event in Melbourne, which includes free workshops, sessions with New Architects Melbourne and mingle events.
Anyone can vote for their favourite project in the People’s Choice Awards, which closes on 27 October 2021. All the winners will be announced on 17 November 2021.
Here are some of the stand-out new homes, commercial and community projects and residential alterations and additions that made this year’s shortlist.
Victorian Pride Centre by BAU+GAA (Brearley Architects and Urbanists and Grant Amon Architects), VIC
Finalist in the Commercial, Community and Public category
The Victorian Pride Centre is the new home of Victoria’s LGBTQI+ communities. The building provides a public working hub, café, theatre/multi-function space, archive, health centres, roof top garden, art gallery and lettable space for tenants interested in a relationship with the LGBTQI+ communities.
Deco House by Mihaly Slocombe VIC
Finalist in the Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: $1m + category
Deco House is a serene and sun-drenched home that reimagines the Art Deco style for contemporary living, nestled within the backstreets of leafy Kew. Though remarkably unprotected by a Heritage overlay, the design intervention nevertheless seeks to honour the heritage quality of the original house.
Terrace House 1 by DREAMER, VIC
Finalist in the Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: $500k – $1m category
Terrace House 1 is a two-story rear addition to an existing terrace house driven by the desire for connectedness to family, the outdoors and the creation of a retreat for a frontline medical worker often required to work nights.
Norwood by Architecture Architecture, VIC
Finalists in the Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: Up to $500k category.
To unlock the potential of a narrow site, Architecture Architecture introduced upholstered banquettes, window seating and kitchen benches in this Victorian home, freeing-up the centre for a generous island bench and built-in table. Everything feels integrated – is integrated – fitting together like a three-dimensional jigsaw.
The Hutt 01 Passivhaus-A Beacon of Hope by Melbourne Design Studios (MDS), VIC
Finalist in the Residential New Award: $1m+ category
Hutt 01 is a piece of inspiring contemporary architecture with a timeless, modernist touch. It’s a prefab passive house that doesn’t require heating or cooling for most of the year, a luxury but fun home with many aspects of sustainable design and a case study of how we can live sustainably into the future.
Corner House by Archier, VIC
Finalist in the Residential New Award: Up to $1m+ category
Despite its proximity to the picturesque coastline of the Mornington Peninsula, this project’s more immediate context called for a carefully considered strategy that could limit the house’s exposure to the adjacent streets. Responding confidently to this challenge, Corner House deploys a restrained, dark façade to the perimeter of the site that captures and conceals a delicate private courtyard within its walls.
ArchiTeam Awards 2021 finalists
Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: $1m +
- Arcadia by Architecture architecture, VIC
- Deco House by Mihaly Slocombe VIC
- Open Shut House by WALA VIC
- South Yarra House by Pop Architecture Pty Ltd, VIC
Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: $500k – $1m
- Gantry House by OOF! architecture, VIC
- Mosman Minka by Downie North Architects, NSW
- Terrace House 1 by DREAMER, VIC
- Vivarium by Architecture architecture, VIC
Residential Alterations and Additions Awards: Up to $500k
- Engawa House by Inbetween Architecture, VIC
- Norwood by Architecture architecture, VIC
- SouthYarra Apartment by Rosanna Ceravolo Design, VIC
- Spencer’s Slope by Cloud Dwellers, QLD
Innovation and Contribution Award
- Jenny Edwards by Light House Architecture & Science, ACT
- MiniMaddern by Public Realm Lab., VIC
- PLAN RAND by Regional Design Service, NSW
- The Cobargo Santa Project by Breathe, VIC
Residential New Award: $1m+
- Coastal Court Flinders by BOWER ARCHITECTURE PTY. LTD., VIC
- Franklin by Ola Architecture Studio, VIC
- Judo House by Nervegna Reed, VIC
- The Hutt 01 Passivhaus-A Beacon of Hope by Melbourne Design Studios (MDS), VIC
Residential New Award: Up to $1m
- Corner House by Archier, VIC
- Housefor Eva by MRTN Architects., VIC
- Macdonald Road House by Philip Stejskal Architecture, WA
Commercial, Community and Public Award
- Narrandjeri House by Public Realm Lab, VIC
- Mainview Boulevard byCanvas Projects, VIC
- Quakers Stage 2 by pH architects+ Nervegna Reed Architects, VIC
- Victorian Pride Centre by BAU+GAA (Brearley Architects and Urbanists and Grant Amon Architects), VIC
- Gas Stack by Simulaa, VIC
- Lisieux by Topology Studio, VIC
The People’s Choice Awards will be judged by members of the public and is open to the Public until 5pm on Wednesday 27 October 2021. Anyone is able to vote once here.
Lead photo: Corner House by Archier. Photo: Rory Gardiner.