- Article by Online Editor
Sign up for our newsletter
Images courtesy of LandCorp and Alkimos Beach.
Residents of Alkimos Beach, a master-planned residential community in Perth’s northern suburbs, will participate in Australia’s first energy storage trial.
The four-year trial is a collaboration between Alkimos Beach development partners LandCorp and Lend Lease, energy retailer Synergy, and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA). The energy storage trial is expected to include over 100 local residents.
The $6.7 million trial is planned to start in 2016, and involves:
- Installing a community scale 1.1Mwh lithium ion energy storage system
- Offering residents an energy smart home package, including rebates for solar hot water, solar power, and energy efficiency devices
- A variable price electricity plan with reduced rates for network electricity
- Installing in-home energy display units
- Educating residents to effectively manage their energy usage and reduce overall electricity consumption
Energy Minister Mike Nahan announced that this trial could set new standards in future infrastructure design, management of peak demand, and drive a long-term behavioural shift in energy use.
The trial was partly funded with a $3.3 million grant from ARENA, along with financial contributions from Synergy, Lend Lease, and LandCorp.
Lend Lease CEO of Property, Tarun Gupta, said the trial is part of a long-term view to create an environmentally conscious sustainable community at Alkimos Beach, with the potential to be applied across Western Australia.
LandCorp CEO Frank Marra said that the storage trial was a key strategic infrastructure development that could see Western Australia growing in a planned and sustainable way.
Synergy, Western Australia’s largest provider of gas and electricity, will be responsible for procurement, installation, and operation of the energy storage device.
Working with Edra from the start, Italian designer Francesco Binfaré has produced some of the brand's classics, including the recent Pack and Chiara sofa.