- Article by Online Editor
Sign up for our newsletter
Above: Flinders Street Revitalisation (Townsville), Cox Rayner Architects; photo by Angus Martin.
Townsville’s new city heart took home the top award at the Australian Institute of Architects’ 2013 North Queensland Regional Architecture Awards announced on Friday.
Cox Rayner Architects’ Flinders Street Revitalisation project in Townsville received the Walter and Oliver Tunbridge Award for Building of the Year, presented by Queensland State Awards jury director Mark Damant, as well as a regional commendation. Cox Rayner Architects also recently won the top award for their Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum in Winton at the Central Queensland Regional Architecture Awards last month.
The revitalisation project transformed a pedestrian mall back to a trafficable street while creating a link to the river. A pavilion was also built to house a canopied theatrical film space, information centre, cafe and amenities.
“Demonstrating a close, sustained, committed collaboration between all of the participants, the total project has been carefully crafted – from the overall master plan through to the bespoke detailing and consistent custom design elements,” noted the jury – which consisted of regional jury coordinator Zammi Rohan (director at 9point9 architects), Mark Kennedy (principal at Outcrop Architecture) and John McLean (principal at John McLean Architect) as well as jury director Mark Damant (Woods Bagot) and Liam Proberts (bureau^proberts).
The jury awarded six Regional Commendations in addition to the Walter and Oliver Tunbridge Award for Building of the Year. See the original shortlist here.
Walter and Oliver Tunbridge Award for Building of the Year
- Flinders Street Revitalisation (Townsville), Cox Rayner Architects
- Caneland Central Shopping Centre (Mackay), Lend Lease Design – Commercial Architecture category
- Mater Hyde Park Consulting Suites (Townsville), Stephen de Jersey Architect – Commercial Architecture category
- JCU Eddie Koiki Mabo Library Townsville (Douglas), Brewster Hjorth Architects – Public Architecture category
- TYTO Cultural Precinct (Ingham), Iahznimmo architects + architects north – Public Architecture category
- 3rd Battalion The Royal Australian Regiment (3 RAR) Precinct Lavarack Barracks Townsville (Townsville), BVN Donovan Hill in association with Conrad Gargett Riddel – Urban Design category
- Flinders Street Revitalisation (Townsville), Cox Rayner Architects – Urban Design category
Award recipients will now progress to the Queensland Architecture Awards, set to be announced in Brisbane on 21 June.
Sorona Naturals Collection is the latest innovation in carpet tiles and planks brought to you exclusively by Godfrey Hirst.