- Article by Online Editor
The NSW Government yesterday formally approved the Lend Lease scheme for the $6 billion development at the Barangaroo site in Sydney, and announced that Johnson Pilton Walker will work on the landscaping of the Headland Park and other public spaces.
NSW Premier Kristina Keneally and Planning Minister, Tony Kelly, signed the contract for the sites commercial development ahead of the public presentation of the design scheme, presented by Head Architect Lord Richard Rogers and former Prime Minister Paul Keating. The contract is between the Barangaroo Development Authority and developer Lend Lease.
Kelly announced that Johnson Pilton Walker, in association with Peter Walker and Partners Landscape Architecture, would form the design team working on the Headland Park and other public spaces within the Barangaroo site. This includes the restoration of the entire harbour headland to a more natural shape.
We are determined to create a bold and inspiring precinct, which is diverse, dynamic and inclusive, Kelly said, adding that the park would include waterfront promenades, an open-air amphitheatre, viewing area and picnic spots.
The contract was signed at the opening of a public display of the models and plans for the scheme that have previously not been seen by the public.
The signing of the agreement came as Rogers and Keating prepared to present the Lend Lease scheme to the public on Tuesday evening. At the presentation, Rogers said there was no reason why the developers should not build out into the harbour something developers have previously not been permitted to do.
Rogers design includes a hotel sitting above a pier that extends 90m into the harbour, breaching the ban on building out into the water. Other buildings in the scheme also exceed recommended height and density restrictions for the area.
Construction work on the site is expected to begin in mid 2010, with the first stage of the development covering at least 40,000sqm expected to be complete by June 2014.