- Article by Online Editor
Sign up for our newsletter
Above: Gold Coast University Hospital Mental Health Unit by PDT, STH and Hassell (joint venture); photo by Christopher Frederick Jones.
Two projects took home the top awards at the Australian Institute of Architects’ 2013 Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Regional Architecture Awards on Saturday.
Gold Coast University Hospital Mental Health Unit by PDT, STH and Hassell (joint venture) received a regional commendation and the Building of the Year Award.
The jury said that the project was “a thoroughly eengaging and considered response to an overwhelmingly complex program, that sets new benchmarks in healthcare and user needs”.
The House of the Year Award went to dm2architecture for their Binna Burra Sky Lodges project.
“The architect has carefully crafted a complex brief into a thoughtful, contextual, sustainable and wonderful piece of conceptually rich architecture and legacy for its national park setting,” said the jury.
In total, eighteen projects were entered in the awards, including a hotel, surf training centre and a school chapel. The jury awarded eight regional commendations in addition to the Building of the Year and House of the Year awards.
Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Regional Jury Coordinator, David Brown, Executive Development Manager at Sunland Group, was joined on the jury by Matt Cooper, Principal at Aspect Architecture; Finn Jones, Principal Architect and Urban Designer at the Gold Coast City Council; Alison McDonald, Lecturer at Griffith University; Paul Robertson, Principal at Paul Robertson Architect; Zac Tooth, Principal at ZT A+B; lay juror Shannon Willoughby, Journalist at Gold Coast Bulletin and lay juror Peter Scott, Presenter on ABC Coast FM.
Winners of regional commendations will now progress to the coveted Queensland Architecture Awards to be announced in Brisbane on 21 June.
See below for the full list of winners and regional commendations.
Building of the Year
Gold Coast University Hospital Mental Health Unit, Southport, by PDT, STH and HASSELL (joint venture)
House of the Year
Binna Burra Sky Lodges, Binna Burra, by dm2architecture
Residential Architecture – Multiple Housing
- Binna Burra Sky Lodges, Binna Burra, by dm2architecture
Residential Architecture – Multiple Housing & Urban Design
- Soul, Surfers Paradise, by DBI Design
Residential Architecture – Houses
- South Stradbroke Island ‘Main Hut’, South Stradbroke Island, by W.I.M Architects
- Promenade Residence, Isle of Capri, by BGD Architects
- Sebring Residence, Mermaid Beach, by Paul Uhlmann Architects
- Gold Coast University Hospital Mental Health Unit, Southport, by PDT, STH and HASSELL (joint venture)
- Saint Stephen’s College Senior Technology Building, Upper Coomera, by Burling Brown Architects
- Surfing Australia High Performance Centre HPC, Casuarina, by PENTARCHI & PHORM Architecture + Design