- Article by Online Editor
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Above: Somerset Civic Centre, Esk, by ThomsonAdsett. Photo by Angus Martin
The Australian Institute of Architects has revealed twelve projects in the running to win awards in the 2013 Darling Downs Regional Architecture Awards.
The projects include an aquatic centre, a bookshop and a hillside house, and span the region from St George in the west to Springfield in the east, covering commercial, public, residential, small project and interior architecture categories.
Regional Jury Coordinator Stephen Sims (principal at Sims White Architects) will join jurors Colin Davidson (principal at CKD Architects) and Max Brammer (Brammer Architects) in assisting the 2013 Awards Jury Director Mark Damant (Woods Bagot) and Deputy Director Liam Proberts (bureau^proberts) in selecting the winners of Regional Commendations and the William Hodgen Award for Building of the Year.
The awards ceremony will take place at the Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery on Friday 15 March. Projects awarded on the night will progress to the Queensland Architecture Awards, to be announced in Brisbane on 21 June.
An exhibition of entries will be on display at the Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery from 13 March to 24 March.
See below for the full shortlist:
- Toowoomba Regional Council Customer Service Centre, Toowoomba, by OPUS Architecture
- The Bremer Institute of TAFE Bundamba Campus – Block C Redevelopment, Bundambda, by SKM
- Somerset Civic Centre, Esk, by ThomsonAdsett
- St Barts Anglican Church, Toowoomba, by OPUS Architecture
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross College Technology Sciences + Art Centres, Dalby, by Fulton Trotter Architects
- Dalby Aquatic Centre, Dalby, by Liquid Blu
- University of Southern Queensland Faculty of Sciences, Toowoomba, by Suters Architects
- The Springfield Anglican College Library, Springfield, by Bickerton Masters Architecture
Residential Architecture – Houses
- Balonne River House, St George, by Fulton Trotter Architects
- Kara View Residence, Toowoomba, by Aspect Architects and Project Managers
Small Project Architecture
- USQ Springfield Bookshop, Springfield Central, by Giarola Architects
- Insight Accountants, Toowoomba, by Aspect Architects and Project Managers
Drainage is often the forgotten workhorse of the building and design function. Yet drainage maintains a simple albeit vital purpose.