Associate professor and head of design lab
We seek to appoint an Associate Professor to lead the Design Lab and to provide leadership within the Faculty. The role involves research and academic leadership within the field of Design, and also potentially within the Faculty.
The University of Sydney is Australia’s first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7300 permanent staff, supporting over 50,000 students.
The Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning, from its foundation in 1918 as the first faculty of architecture in Australia, has been an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and aesthetic research in architecture and the built environment, which attracts the highest quality applicants in Australia.
The Design Lab has a distinguished reputation for research at the forefront of design over the past 40 years. Current foci include design, interaction design, design for health, digital fabrication, urban informatics and creative robotics.
We seek to appoint an Associate Professor to lead the Design Lab and to provide leadership within the Faculty. The role involves research and academic leadership within the field of Design, and also potentially within the Faculty. The role also involves teaching, research student supervision (both traditional and design-based), and undertaking research which advances the field of Design.
This is an:
Academic leadership role
Excellent track record in research-led teaching and grant funding essential
Full time continuing, remuneration package: $163KK p.a. which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
To be successful in the position, you will possess many of the following:
• national / international acknowledgement of your research leadership in the field, the innovation of your work, and its contribution to industry and the community
• an excellent track record of published research
• track record of obtaining competitive grant funding and/or industry funding
• evidence of your capacity to successfully conceptualise applications for research funding for research teams
• evidence of your capacity to bring together and lead research teams
• evidence that your work is attracting high-quality PhD applicants, to undertake their candidature with you
• evidence of high-quality supervision and timely completions
• evidence of recognition within the broader research community e.g. membership / editorship of journal(s); membership of national/international consultative bodies, membership of specialist committees or advisory boards
• evidence of excellent teaching and the capacity to provide leadership in the development and operation of high quality educational programs
• evidence of successful leadership contributions at a faculty or university level
• it is expected that applicants will hold a PhD
The position is full-time continuing subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period for new appointees.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups, including women and people with disabilities are encouraged. As the University of Sydney has established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution, applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are also encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Submission End Date: 9 June 2015, 11:30pm Sydney time.