TobiasPartnersTownPlace1.jpg

Interior Design: Towns Place

Feb 11, 2011
  • Article by Online Editor
  • Photography by Justin Alexander
  • Designer
  • Architect Tobias Partners

The disused harbour master’s office at Towns Place in Walsh Bay is a two-storey weatherboard structure on piers, built in 1912–1913. Classified a significant heritage item, the building underwent a major conservation program as part of the urban renewal of the Walsh Bay precinct.

Re-working the interior of this heritage into a modern commercial office suite came with the challenge of installing all new services and fitout without affecting the existing fabric. Existing walls, ceilings and windows were either painted white or restored to their original finish, and all new fixtures, fittings and furniture elements are designed as either modular, removable or repairable to heritage standards.

Within the restored envelope, the fitout is quiet and contemporary. The design takes advantage of the two-storey plan, using it to separate administrative and executive functions. At street level, a smoke-grey mirrored reception desk sits on oak floorboards. Beyond is a meeting room and administrative offices partitioned with freestanding joinery units in charcoal or white-lacquer. Upstairs are the directors’ offices, kitchen, bathroom, entertaining area and the boardroom, enjoying northerly harbour views.

*Team* Architect: Nick Tobias, Designer: Matthew Krusin

Minerva tub chair

Conversation • 0 comments

Add to this conversation

show/hide

Reply

Your email address will not be published.