- Article by Online Editor
- Photography by Mack Hall
- Architect Naked Architecture
First built in 1910, The Elms had slowly been degenerating over 90 years when it was purchased by the new owners. Situated on a 1,000m2 lot in Claremont, the owners sold the rear portion of the land and chose to restore and extend the house to meet the needs of the modern family.
A simple but contrasting extension was added. A gentle fall away from the rear of the house and a high eaves line enabled the extension’s north facing skillion roof to tuck under the existing roof line, while still providing generous volumes, natural light and ventilation in the new structure. The original house comprises three bedrooms, a lounge and loft, while the extension provides kitchen/dining/living space, a master suite and laundry.
The beautiful original jarrah floorboards, preserved throughout their life by carpet, were revealed, sanded and polished and provided the common thread through to the extension via cabinetwork.
*Team* Architect: Clayton Lindley, Designer: Susie Lindley