- Article by Online Editor
- Photography by Richard Glover
- Architect Bokor architecture interiors
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
This building in Surry Hills is a modest example of an Edwardian shop that was built in c.1903. The shop operated as a grocers store serving the largely residential area around it. Therefore, the fundamental concept for designing the house was to retain and enhance the existing heritage form and contribute to the distinctive Bourke Street streetscape, while changing the primary use from a retail store to a home.
The new addition is a modern interpretation of a two-storey end of terrace house a corner site with three street faces with a light filled courtyard that connects to a two storey studio at the rear.
The building is a clever and thoughtful piece of architecture that retains the most significant element of the existing building and adds a well composed addition that follows the traditional form of a terrace house.
*Team* Architects: Julius Bokor, Cindy Bolomey