Article by ADR contributor Bryan Chung.
Forty-six finalists have been shortlisted for the New Zealand Architecture Awards 2015, representing the best architectural projects in New Zealand this year, located across the Bay of Islands to Central Otago.
Organised by the New Zealand Institute of Architects, the annual awards programme encompasses ten categories, from landmark commercial buildings to housing alterations and heritage projects.
This year’s awards jury includes Auckland architect and jury convenor Pete Bossley, as well as acclaimed architects Jeremy Smith, Sharon Jansen, and Damien Eckersley.
For the first time this year, award-winning buildings in the housing, commercial and public architecture categories will be in the running for three Signature Awards named after influential New Zealand architects – Sir Miles Warren, John Scott, and Sir Ian Athfield.
The awards ceremony will take place at Te Papa in Wellington on 30 October, during which the overall winner in the Architecture Awards will receive the New Zealand Architecture Medal.
The projects that have been shortlisted for the New Zealand Architecture Awards 2015 are:
Stranges and Glendenning Hill Building Replacement, Christchurch by Sheppard and Rout. Photo by Peter Cui.
- Allendale Annexe (Auckland) by Salmond Reed Architects
- Stranges and Glendenning Hill Building Replacement (Christchurch) by Sheppard and Rout
Avondale College by Jasmax. Photo by Kenneth Li.
- The University of Auckland Building 303 by Architectus
- Avondale College by Jasmax
- MIT Manukau & Transport Interchange by Warren and Mahoney
- The MacFarlan Centre, Saint Kentigern College, Auckland, by RTA Studio
- Iona College Information Resource Centre, Havelock North, by Stevens Lawson Architects
- Wintec Engineering and Trades Facility, Hamilton, by Chow:Hill
The Buck House by Athfield Architects. Photo by Robin Morrison.
- Deanwell School (1968), Hamilton by the South Auckland Education Board – Architectural Division
- Gibbs House (1985), Auckland by Mitchell & Stout Architects
- The Buck House (1980), Havelock North by Athfield Architects
The Treasury Research Centre & Archive by Architectus. Photo by Simon Devitt.
- Lopdell House, Titirangi, Auckland by Mitchell & Stout Architects
- Isaac Theatre Royal, Christchurch by Warren and Mahoney
- The Treasury Research Centre & Archive, Thames by Architectus
- 15 Stout Street, Wellington by Warren and Mahoney
Castle Rock House by Herbst Architects. Photo by Patrick Reynolds.
- Hekerua Bay House, Waiheke Island by Archimedia
- Ostend Family Home, Waiheke Island by Bull O’Sullivan Architects
- Red House, Auckland by Crosson Clarke Carnachan Architects
- The Crossing Pakiri by Crosson Clarke Carnachan Architects
- Castle Rock House, Northland by Herbst Architects
- Boatsheds, Auckland by Strachan Group Architects
- In-Situ House, Auckland by Stevens Lawson Architects
- Rawhiti Bach, Northland by Studio of Pacific Architecture
- Rammed Earth House, Wanaka by Assembly Architects
- Emerald Bluffs House, Wanaka by RTA Studio
- 120 Oriental Parade House by Architecture Workshop
Housing – Alterations & Additions
Clifton Hill House by Herriot + Melhuish. Photo by Russell Kleyn.
- Clevedon Estate, Auckland by Herbst Architects
- ‘Sod the Villa’, Auckland by Malcolm Walker Architects
- Pt Chevalier Bungalow, Auckland by Megan Edwards Architects
- Clifton Hill House, Christchurch by Herriot + Melhuish: Architecture
Housing – Multi-unit
Squadron Lane Terraces by Stevens Lawson Architects. Photo by Mark Smith.
- Squadron Lane Terraces, Auckland by Stevens Lawson Architects
- Clyde Quay Wharf Apartments, Wellington by Athfield Architects
- Altair, Wellington by Architecture+
- Marshall Court Apartments for City Housing WCC, Wellington, by Designgroup Stapleton Elliott
New Zealand China Concept Store, Shanghai by Patterson Associates. Photo by Atelier Aitken.
- New Zealand China Concept Store, Shanghai by Patterson Associates
Christchurch Botanic Gardens Visitors Centre by Patterson Associates.
Photo by Emma Smales.
- Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery, Titirangi, Auckland by Mitchell & Stout Architects
- Interchange, Auckland by Opus Architecture
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens Visitors Centre by Patterson Associates
- The Blyth Performing Arts Centre, Havelock North by Stevens Lawson Architects
- Rotorua Police Station by Leuschke Group and Vincent Chrisp & Partners
- Kathleen Kilgour Centre, Tauranga by Wingate + Farquhar
Small Project Architecture
Te Kaitaka – ‘The Cloak’ by Fearon hay Architects. Photo by Simon Wilson.
- Te Kaitaka – ‘The Cloak’, Auckland by Fearon Hay Architects
- Lyttelton Studio Retreat by Bull O’Sullivan Architects
- Brooklands Lagoon Public Toilet, Christchurch by Opus Architecture